Triple Trek 2018: Hiking Adventure
Triple Trek is HCO’s first hiking adventure – a special trip to raise funds to complete the Peredo Community Hospital, March 9 – 17, 2018.
They all point to HCO’s dream and vision of completing the surgical center addition to the hospital in Peredo, Haiti!
1,000,000 + = number of people that can be served by Peredo Community Hospital in this remote southeastern area of Haiti
$100,000 = the remaining amount of money needed to fully “complete and furnish” the surgical center addition
8,793 = the height Haiti’s tallest mountain – Pic La Selle – rises above the ocean
14 = the number of Triple Trek 2018 Hikers committed to raise the remaining funds needed to finish the HCO Peredo Community Hospital by completing 3 separate climbing segments covering nearly 40 miles, including summiting Pic La Selle
3 = The team will complete 3 separate climbing segments:
- Trek 1 – Port au Prince to Seguin (12 miles)
- Trek 2 – Pic La Selle – Summit (10 miles)
- Trek 3 – Seguin to Peredo (14 miles)
1 = One ultimate focus – “Doing something for Haiti that will last” to share the love and healing power of Jesus Christ!
As RoRo and Cameron contemplated the possibilities of a trekking adventure, they could not help but recall that mountains are mentioned more than 500 times in the Bible. Mountains are often used literally and symbolically by God when He chooses to reveal himself to His creation.
While the $100,000 needed to complete and open the Peredo Community Hospital seems like a huge mountain to overcome, Matthew 21:21 reminds us that: “If you have faith and do not doubt, not only can you do what was done to the fig tree, but also you can say to this mountain, ‘Go, throw yourself into the sea,’ and it will be done!”
We need to understand that if we need a mountain to be moved, then God is not only capable of doing this with no effort, but He will do whatever is necessary and good and right in the fulfillment of His will and plan for our lives. He can and will do whatever is needful – we only have to believe it.
Haiti is a very mountainous country. Mountains are where God has done some of His most significant work:
- Moses received the gift of the Ten Commandments on a mountain
- Jesus often retreated to the mountains with his 12 disciples
- Jesus faced temptation on the mountain
- Jesus delivered the Beatitudes in his Sermon on the Mount
- After his resurrection, Jesus directed the remaining 11 disciples to go to a familiar mountain and ultimately commissioned his Apostles there
How can you participate in the 2018 Triple Trek?
- Join our team – we can still accept a few more committed trekkers to hike (Contact Cameron Mayhill for details).
- Pray for those who individuals who will be training, fund raising and hiking.
- Consider making a contribution on our Triple Trek – First Giving Page. All gifts given on this page will go directly to HCO toward raising the needed funds!
In the words of William Blake – “Great things are done when man and mountains meet.”
by David Martin
Senior Vice President, MBRE Healthcare
HCO Board Member