Hurricane Matthew Update: Oct4
On Tuesday (10/4/16) afternoon, RoRo and our Haitian friends were able to leave their storm shelters for the first time to begin surveying the initial damage from Hurricane Matthew.
Here’s what we know at this point:
- We praise God for the back wall of the hospital that is keeping flood waters at bay. (photo below)
- We praise God that – at this time – all HCO structures appear to be undamaged. Ro has spoken to our leaders in Grand Bois, Kapotyer, and Drouillard so far. Our church and school buildings do not appear to have visible damage.
- We are grateful Ro was able to make it out to the bridge at the river before the torrential rains began again. Later, he was able to go back out into the community for more surveying.
- We are thankful we can provide shelter and food to some people tonight who have no where else to go. (photos below)
- Several homes in the immediate area around campus are damaged.
- For those whose homes are still standing, many have lost all of their possessions in the flood water.
- The road behind campus is completely flooded. (video below)
- Though no official report has been made, it is clear that many, if not all, crops have been lost. All of the banana trees on campus are down.
- We are beginning to coordinate food resources in the US.
- mPower, the company from whom we source our Light Project solar lights, contacted us this afternoon to donate 204 lights to HCO for those affected by the hurricane.
We are choosing to dwell in the shelter of the Most High, resting in the shadow of the Almighty. We say of the LORD, “He is our refuge and our fortress, our God, in whom we trust.” (Psalm 91:1-2)
We are grateful for the outpouring of love and support. We are thankful for so many people sharing HCO on social media. We are deeply thankful for those who are praying and for those who have given financially.
We will continue to post updates to our Facebook page and blog as information becomes available.
Check out our post – Hurricane Matthew: How you can help
[button text=”Give to Hurricane Relief Now” url=”https://haitianchristian.org/get-involved/hurricane-relief/” background_color=”#b41f25″ text_color=”#ffffff” style=”lt_circular lt_flat” size=”default” open_new_window=”true” rounded=”true”]